I took me awhile, but I finally found some really nice large rainbow moonstones. They came from a seller in India, so they had that thick cut. They also came with a thick price tag. I feel they are worth it, though.
What to do about a wrap? I couldn't do my usual traditional wrap. So, I went in search of a wrap that would work for it. That search took to me to youtube where I found a weave which would work. Youtube is a great place to find wire wrapping tutorials. I felt a little guilty using it because I seem to remember when the woman who developed a very similar wrap came out with a tutorial for it. If you remember who that was, let me know in the comments. I have also done something similar, but the weave was a bit different.
I gathered copious amounts of fine wire and began my project. My stone is 44 mm tall, so I settled in for a long haul of weaving. The first thing I noticed was that the clamp used in the video was not going to work for me. The outside wire kept shifting around on me. So, I devised another way to hold the wires which also gave me a comfortable way to hold the work.
The space that I needed between my base wires was about as thick as a Popsicle stick. I took the stick, placed my base wires on the outside and bound them together with some 18g copper half round.
Weaving is not my forte. Not because I can't do it, but because it really hurts my hands and I find the repetitive motion boring. However, one must sacrifice for beauty, so I got to it.
My improvised tool made starting with the correct distance between the wires easy. Keeping it even was the challenge. If I weren't experienced with handling wire, it would have been much more difficult. That is where the clamp had an advantage, you could move it. I managed, though, and after a very long time with many hand breaks, I was finished with the first weaving portion of the wrap.
I could tell that I would be doing the top differently. I am a stickler for tight wraps. The way that was done in the video didn't seem to join the two woven ends very tightly. I ended up doing it my way. I brought the 4 base wires together. I then bent the back wires down to join the front wires and used a weave wire to fasten the 2 back edges of weave together. Next, I bent the now forward facing wires up next to the front wires and wrapped them. Now, all four wires were tight together. I turned down the middle wires to form two spirals and finished off the bail, attaching it to the back with weave wires. It was finished.
Even though I did it a bit differently, it still ended up looking about the same. The challenge now was to photograph the moonstone. These are a lot like opal to photograph. In other words.... difficult. After taking many pictures in my light tent, I settled on these. You can bet, though, the moonstone is 100 times more bright and beautiful in person. The color covers the full face of the stone.
I took a couple quickie pictures at the kitchen table that show the stone a little better.
And that, folks, is the most weaving that I will be doing for a long while. :) Weaving is beautiful, but not something for these old hands.
Thanks for reading and be happy.